Four people were killed, and three others were severely injured when two helicopters collided in a popular tourist area in Australia on Monday afternoon.
Beachgoers enjoying the sea in the southern summertime rushed to help.
According to acting Queensland state police inspector Gary Worrell, the two helicopters that collided at the Sea World amusement park in Main Resort, a northern Gold Coast beach, appeared to have been taking off and landing, respectively.
While one helicopter successfully touched down on a sandbar, the other’s wreckage was dispersed throughout what the police characterized as a difficult-to-access location.
They were all passengers in the downed helicopter, including the three people who were critically hurt.
Members of the public and police attempted to rescue the victims from the upside-down aircraft, Worrell added.
They also started administering first aid.
Jet ski riders, family boaters, and regular citizens flocked to help these people.
Medical help is also being provided to passengers in the other helicopter, which lost its windscreen in the collision.
A helicopter was clipped by another flying over the ocean in the crash’s video footage just after takeoff.
A separate business from the entertainment park, Sea World Helicopters, offered its sympathies and stated that it worked with the investigators looking into the tragedy.
The statement read, “We, and the entire aviation community, are horrified by what has happened.
Our profound condolences go to all those affected, especially the loved ones and family of the deceased.
While stating in the statement that it would not comment further due to the investigation, the company did not confirm whether it operated either one or both of the helicopters involved in the disaster.
Customers at Sea World heard the collision, a witness called John reported to Melbourne radio station 3AW.
Theme park employees, according to him, acted quickly to seal off the areas nearest to the collision.
Premier of Queensland Annastacia Palaszczuk said the event was “an unfathomable catastrophe.
She expressed her sincere condolences to all the families and individuals impacted by the sad disaster.
According to Australian Transport Safety Bureau chief Angus Mitchell, an inquiry into the cause of the collision is being conducted.
Thirteen persons are being evaluated for injuries, Queensland Ambulance Service previously said.
The busiest month for travel to the Gold Coast is January when summer vacations in Australia are most popular.
— Reuters (@Reuters) January 2, 2023