In response to the rising infection rates in Shanghai, coupled with a strict lockdown, the US government has ordered all non-emergency consular staff to leave China’s biggest city.
The order covers “non-emergency U.S. government employees and their family members from U.S. Consulate General Shanghai.” The State Department said the order is an upgrade from the “authorized” departure issued last week that made the decision voluntary.
Late Monday, the department said, “Our change in posture reflects our assessment that it is best for our employees and their families to be reduced in number and our operations to be scaled down as we deal with the changing circumstances on the ground.”
Following this, a series of advisories were also issued for Americans in Shanghai, including that they ensure they have a “sufficient supply of money, medication, food, and other necessities for your family in the event of sudden restrictions or quarantine.”
China is facing one of its worst local outbreaks since the pandemic began, but Shanghai says it will gradually lift some restrictions on neighborhoods where no new infections have been reported over the past two weeks. Residents will be able to travel around their districts but not meet in groups. Others will be restricted to their immediate neighborhoods.