With Zoom and Among Us standing at the top of the leaderboard, Apple has revealed the most popular apps across all categories in 2020, as is the custom every year. The company recognized 15 apps and games that proved to be essential for making life easier, healthier, and more connected this year.
Topping the free app and game on both the iPhone and iPad, Zoom and Among Us stood out instantly, thanks to one’s need-of-the-hour nature to connect, and the other’s ability to strike away all that pandemic boredom. Among Us has become arguably the biggest game of 2020, regularly topping Twitch charts and is particularly popular since it’s free to download.
“This year, more than ever before, some of our most creative and connected moments happened in apps. This was thanks to the amazing work of developers who introduced fresh, helpful app experiences throughout the year,” said Phil Schiller, Apple Fellow. “Around the world, we saw remarkable efforts from so many developers, and these Best of 2020 winners are 15 outstanding examples of that innovation. From helping us stay fit and mindful, to keeping our children’s education on track, to helping fight hunger, their impact was meaningful to so many of us.”
The Apple App of the Year: Wakeout!, developed by Andres Canella was awarded the topmost position owing to the way it brought gentle exercise to home offices and classrooms with light-hearted and inclusive movements designed for everyone.
The remaining of the Top 15 apps include:
- iPhone Game of the Year: Genshin Impact
- iPad App of the Year: Zoom
- iPad Game of the Year: Legends of Runeterra
- Mac App of the Year: Fantastical
- Mac Game of the Year: Disco Elysium
- Apple TV App of the Year: Disney Plus
- Apple TV Game of the Year: Dandara: Trials of Fear
- Apple Watch App of the Year: Endel
- Apple Arcade Game of the Year: Sneaky Sasquatch
- App Trend of the Year: Shine for helping users practice self-care
- App Trend of the Year: Explain Everything Whiteboard for helping bring remote classrooms to life
- App Trend of the Year: Caribu for connecting families to loved ones
- App Trend of the Year: Pokémon Go for reinventing the way we play
- App Trend of the Year: ShareTheMeal for helping users make a difference
Furthermore, in order to commemorate these apps, Apple designers created the first-ever physical ‘App Store Best of 2020’ award- a signature blue App Store icon, set into 100 percent recycled aluminum, with the name of the winner engraved on the other side.