As authorities kept looking for people who may have perished or are trapped and suffering due to last week’s blizzard, roads in storm-devastated Buffalo were reopened on Thursday.
Just after midnight on Thursday, the city with the second-highest population in New York relaxed the driving prohibition, according to Mayor Byron Brown.
At a news conference late on Wednesday, he stated that “much progress has been made” on snow removal.
Buffalo Niagara International Airport, major highways, and suburban roads were already reopened.
However, Brown asked locals to avoid driving if they could.
The snowstorm that tore through much of the country, with Buffalo in its crosshairs on Friday and Saturday, has been blamed for more than thirty deaths in western New York.
As the snow melted amid increasingly mild weather, the National Guard went door to door to check on residents who had lost power, and authorities anticipated discovering additional victims.
When necessary, officers’ personal snowmobiles, trucks, and other equipment were used to search for victims by Buffalo police and officers from other law enforcement agencies.
Local officials raised concerns about the response to last week’s storm since the death toll already exceeded that of the infamous Blizzard of 1977 in the region.
Even for a location prone to severe winter storms, they claimed that although they were prepared, the weather was exceptional.
The Democrat mayor said on Wednesday, “The city did everything it could amid unprecedented blizzard conditions.”
Officials kept an eye on a forecast predicting possible rain later this week as the snow melts in temperatures near or above 50 degrees (10 Celsius).
State and local authorities declared they were prepared despite the National Weather Service’s prediction that any flooding would be small.
Democratic governor Kathy Hochul said the state was designed to use roughly 800,000 sandbags, more than 300 pumps, and generators to combat floods if necessary.