With a social objective, one of Ben & Jerry’s co-founders transitioned from ice cream to marijuana.
Ben Cohen established Ben’s Best Blnz, a cannabis brand with the charitable goal of redressing the wrongs of the drug war.
According to the company’s website, 80% of its income will support Black cannabis entrepreneurs via grants, while the remaining 20% will be split equally between the Vermont Racial Justice Alliance and the national Last Prisoner Project, which works to liberate cannabis offenders from prison.
The website states, “lower income Black and Brown people have been targeted by the War on Drugs (first so named by President Richard Nixon) through over-policing, discriminatory prosecution, and discriminatory sentencing.”
This explains why Black individuals are four times more likely to be jailed than White people while consuming marijuana at a similar rate.
According to Ben’s Best Blnz, or B3, it grants royalty-paying for-profit companies permission to use its formulae, packaging, trademarks, and marketing materials. The royalties are given to the cause after costs have been subtracted.
According to the website, no nonorganic pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, or fertilizers are used in the soil-based cultivation of cannabis.
Vermont marijuana stores should carry the B3 goods, such as pre-rolled joints with less intoxicating ingredient THC.