A 17-year-old was shot by a police officer, sparking six nights of turmoil, and on Monday, crowds gathered at town halls around France to demonstrate support for local governments that had been attacked.
Teenage protests against the French state in the suburbs and urban housing complexes, which many young people with immigrant backgrounds claim often discriminate against them, were the main cause of the disturbances, which appeared to be subsiding overnight into Monday.
The Interior Ministry reports that additional public facilities, in addition to 99 town halls, have been targeted during the unrest.
On Monday, the mayors of 220 communities from all around France met with French President Emmanuel Macron.
Overnight attacks in France targeted 297 cars and 34 structures, many of which were connected to the government.
Beyond a march last week in support of Nahel, the adolescent of Algerian heritage who was slain on Tuesday in the Paris neighborhood of Nanterre, there haven’t been many planned demonstrations.
Young people are now attacking police, and both sides are becoming more combative as a result of the rage.
Attacks on state symbols, massive fires, and late-night looting are the results of the fury.
A total of 45,000 police officers were sent around the country to combat violence, which, according to Patrick Jarry, the mayor of Nanterre, hurts young people the most.
Speaking in front of his city hall, which evaded attack, Jarry stated, “We want justice for Nahel and that the appeals for a halt to the violence made by his grandmother and mother be respected.
The residence of the mayor of the Paris neighborhood of L’Hay-les-Roses was damaged by an incendiary-filled automobile over the weekend; this particularly intimate attack, according to the authorities, will be treated as an attempted homicide.
In many communities where city hall is quite literally the center of public life, the attack led to an outpouring of support for local administrations.
The mayor of L’Hay-les-Roses, Vincent Jeanbrun, said that his wife and one of his children had been hurt.
He also blamed the government for acting too slowly and stated that blaming social media or parents was simply a way to cover up a deeper issue.
“The fundamental components are still present. Explosions have been going off all summer long for a few years now, keeping people awake and driving them insane, he said on Monday on BFM television.
Summer after summer, we are helpless. Two law enforcement posts were targeted, among other things, and there were 157 arrests made overnight out of a total of 3,354 since last Tuesday, according to the Interior Ministry.
According to the interior minister, those who were held had an average age of 17 and included youngsters as young as 12 and 13 who had attacked police officers and started fires.
Residents of the Paris neighborhood of Clichy-sous-Bois, where a fire also damaged the town hall, claimed over the weekend that tension had been building for years and that many people were upset.
“Young people are terrified of being killed by cops. They have no chance. They require a diversion since they are bored and don’t want to loiter on the streets, according to 39-year-old Samba Seck. Macron has attributed the development of the unrest to social media and urged parents to be involved in their children’s lives.
Parents who neglected their responsibilities “either through disinterest or deliberately” would face legal consequences, said Justice Minister Eric Dupond-Moretti, speaking on France Inter radio.
According to Paris police, a 24-year-old fireman passed away from a heart attack while battling a wildfire in an underground garage that had spread to the apartment block above.
According to a statement from the police, the cause of the fire is under investigation.