Former President Donald Trump is currently being investigated into whether he took classified records from the White House to his Florida residence, leading to the FBI raiding his Mar-a-Lago estate on Monday.
Disclosing the search himself, in a lengthy statement, Trump asserted that agents had opened up a safe at his home and described their work as an “unannounced raid” that he likened to “prosecutorial misconduct.”
Trump said the search Monday amounted to a “weaponization of the justice system” and an “attack by Radical Left Democrats who desperately don’t want me to run for president in 2024.”
“After working and cooperating with the relevant Government agencies, this unannounced raid on my home was not necessary or appropriate,” Trump said. “They even broke into my safe!”
“These are dark times for our Nation, as my beautiful home, Mar-A-Lago in Palm Beach, Florida, is currently under siege, raided, and occupied by a large group of FBI agents,” Trump wrote. “Nothing like this has ever happened to a President of the United States before.”
The Justice Department has been investigating the potential mishandling of classified information after the National Archives and Records Administration said it had retrieved from Mar-a-Lago 15 boxes of records containing classified information earlier this year. The National Archives said Trump should have turned over that material upon leaving office and referred the matter to the Justice Department.