After a lower court ruled that it would block NYC’s gun restrictions in designated locations, a federal appeals court on Wednesday allowed New York to continue enforcing its new gun law.
Six days after the decision from a federal district judge in Syracuse who declared multiple portions of the new gun law unconstitutional and placed a temporary hold on them, the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has now allowed NYC to go ahead with the proposal.
This decision puts a hold on U.S. District Judge Glenn Suddaby’s order until a three-judge appeals panel can make a decision on the state’s motion. Attorney General Letitia James said she was pleased the law would stay in effect.
“My office will continue our efforts to protect the safety of everyday New Yorkers and defend our common-sense gun laws,” she said in a prepared release.
Suddaby had earlier put a hold on several of the state’s new licensing rules for carrying handguns in public, including one that made applicants turn over information about their social media accounts. He also rejected the list of “sensitive” locations where people cannot carry guns. He said the state couldn’t ban people from carrying guns in New York City’s subway system or Times Square.