Authorities in New York City claimed an electric scooter battery triggered a fire that killed an 8-year-old girl.
Stephanie Villa Torres’ death on Saturday marked at least the third tragic fire in the city due to a scooter battery in less than a year.
The fire was reported at 7:30 a.m. on Saturday.
According to a police spokesperson, the incident occurred at a residence in Queens. Stephanie was discovered unresponsive and died at a hospital.
Officials said the girl’s father and 18-year-old brother were treated for burns and smoke inhalation.
According to a fire department official, the blaze was started by a lithium battery from an electric scooter — one of many fires blamed on electric scooter and bike batteries in New York City in the last two years.
A mother and a 5-year-old child were killed in Harlem on August 3 by a fire caused by a scooter battery, while a 9-year-old kid was killed in Queens in September 2021 by a fire caused by an e-scooter.