As things turn towards normalcy in New York, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced this week that the annual Macy’s firework display on the 4th of July will make a comeback this year, after being canceled in 2020.
“This is really great, a tremendous sign of the rebirth of New York City,” de Blasio said at a virtual briefing, citing the cancellation of the event last year when the Big Apple was battling the pandemic outbreak. The major event was broken down into smaller firework displays last year, in order to limit gatherings amidst the spread of COVID-19.
This year, along with a stunning display of fireworks, the event will also feature a two-hour special featuring the Black Pumas, Coldplay, OneRepublic, and Reba McEntire. The entire show will be broadcasted live on NBC.
At the live locations, according to de Blasio, De Blasio said there will be dedicated areas for fully vaccinated people to enjoy this year’s show, along with other areas for people who are not vaccinated or who want to join together with people who are not vaccinated.
The fireworks will be launched from five barges in the East River starting at 9:25 p.m. on July 4.