A COVID-19 epidemic in China, according to the director of the World Health Organization’s Europe office, poses “no immediate threat” to the European region, but further information is required.
After drastically loosening restrictions, China is now dealing with a widespread coronavirus outbreak.
According to Hans Kluge, the WHO had received information from China that indicated there was no threat, but more thorough and frequent knowledge was needed from China to track the development of the problem.
He continued, “We cannot become complacent.
Chinese passengers are now required to submit to COVID-19 testing by several nations.
Before boarding their flight, Chinese nationals must take the COVID-19 test in Australia and Canada.
In response to concerns about the dearth of information on illnesses in China and worries that new strains may emerge, several countries, including the United States, India, Japan, South Korea, and numerous European nations, have declared stricter COVID-19 measures on travelers from China.
China has threatened to take action against nations that demand that visitors from China present a COVID-19 test result that was negative during the previous 48 hours.
In apparent retribution for Seoul’s action, it stopped providing visas for South Koreans to visit the nation for tourists or business on Tuesday.
The WHO Europe director stated, “We accept that several nations are implementing some measures based on the precautionary principle.
While we wait for more comprehensive information to be shared in openly accessible databases, he said, countries should take preventive measures to protect their populations. Every action must be “based in science,… proportional, and non-discriminatory.”
We “should not be blindsided at any moment by an exclusive focus on one particular geographic location,” warned Catherine Smallwood, the World Health Organization’s Europe COVID-19 incident manager.
In light of the coronavirus’ explosive expansion throughout the nation and the absence of outbreak information from the Chinese government, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus stated earlier this month that the organization was “concerned about the risk to life in China.”
He said that despite the pandemic’s ongoing global remission since it started in late 2019, the agency recently met with Chinese officials to emphasize the significance of sharing additional information concerning COVID-19 concerns, such as hospitalization rates and genetic sequences.