A major fire on Friday destroyed a commercial center on the outskirts of Moscow, leaving one man dead.
Authorities claimed that welding that appeared to have broken safety requirements caused the fire at the OBI store, a component of the MEGA shopping mall in Khimki outside the Russian capital.
Before the shopping center’s doors opened to the public, a massive fire broke out and completely consumed the 17,000 square meter structure (183,000 square feet).
Officials initially suggested that arson may have been involved before stating that unsafe welding was to blame.
The potential breach of safety regulations is the subject of an investigation.
Пожарные ликвидировали открытое горение в подмосковном гипермаркете OBI. Об этом сообщили в пресс-службе ГУ МЧС России по Московской области:https://t.co/2voax4UkAH
Видео: МЧС России pic.twitter.com/fNmDvYv3vk
— ТАСС (@tass_agency) December 9, 2022