After a battery from a passenger’s item caught fire in an overhead bin, a Spirit Airlines flight from Dallas to Orlando was diverted to a Jacksonville, Florida, airport, according to airline officials.
The Florida-based airline stated that Flight 259 touched down safely and taxied to the terminal on Wednesday afternoon. The flight passengers who felt sick were brought to the hospital.
Passenger Kerri Arakawa told FirstCoast News that the fire was released after about 20 minutes.
“There was a retired fireman that jumped up, and the flight crew came in, and they tried putting water on it, and another guy went and got a bucket because I think the fireman reached in and grabbed it,” she said.
Their conditions were not being updated.
The airline expressed gratitude to its staff and passengers for acting swiftly to secure everyone’s safety and to first responders for coming to the aircraft’s rescue.
The airline organized ground transportation to Orlando and gave guests refunds and gift cards.