On Wednesday, the World Health Organization revealed that the number of new coronavirus cases and deaths globally fell everywhere except in the Middle East and Southeast.
The latest data from WHO revealed that confirmed cases dropped 12% to more than 3 million and reported deaths declined 22% to about 7,600.
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the continued decline of cases and number of deaths is “a very encouraging trend.”
While this trend is encouraging, Ghebreyesus warned that the pandemic was not yet over and urged caution, even as many countries have dropped their coronavirus protocols and segued into trying to live with the virus.
“The perception that the pandemic is over is understandable but misguided,” Ghebreyesus said.
“A new and even more dangerous variant could emerge at any time, and vast numbers of people remain unprotected,” Ghebreyesus added.
Moreover, Ghebreyesus noted that the number of new weekly cases rose by 19% in the Middle East and inched up by 1% in Southeast Asia while falling everywhere else. The number of deaths increased by 7% in the Western Pacific and dropped elsewhere in the world last week.